Houston, Texas: This past weekend at the Space City Comic Con, attendees were treated to the first look at 5th Passenger, an indie science fiction, thriller that was crowdfunded last year through Kickstarter. The film features a strong female lead, played by co-writer and producer Morgan Lariah, and stars numerous actors from the Star Trek universe.
“I’m really overwhelmed by the support we have received from the Star Trek, science fiction and horror communities,” commented Scott Baker, the film’s director and co-writer. “So many people trusted us with their donations; we feel incredible pressure to not only spend the money wisely, but also to create a fantastic film. Peoples’ reaction to the trailer so far has been nothing short of extraordinary.”
While a lot of independent fan films try to capture the spirit of Trek, “5th Passenger” is an original story that takes a beat from sci-fi horror classics like “Alien,” and “Event Horizon.” Many notable cast members from Star Trek and other genre films have contributed their acting talents:
- Tim Russ: Tuvok from Star Trek: Voyager
- Marina Sirtis: Counselor Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Doug Jones: Pan from Pan’s Labyrinth, Abe Sapien from Hellboy…
- Armin Shimerman: Quark from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Principle Snyder from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Manu Intiraymi: Icheb from Star Trek: Voyager
- Hana Hatae: Molly O’Brien from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
The film is still in post production and no release date is yet available. Updates on the film’s status can be found on their website www.5thPassenger.com or Facebook page www.Facebook.com/5thPassenger. You can also follow them on Twitter and Instagram as well @5thPassenger.